Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Frog-eye Salad

Photobucket


This is a great salad for a large gathering.  It makes a ton and everyone loves it!  The "frog-eyes" are pasta called acini di pepe.  They are just little tiny things, and I love the texture that it gives to the salad.  Enjoy!

Frog-eye Salad
print this recipe

1 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1 3/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice (measure from drained juice from canned pineapple)
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 quarts water
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 (16 oz.) pkg. acini di pepe pasta
3 (11 oz.) cans mandarin oranges, drained
2 (20 oz.) cans pineapple tidbits, drained
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 cups miniature marshmallows

In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, pineapple juice and eggs.  Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened.  Remove from heat; add lemon juice and cool to room temperature.

Bring water to a boil.  Add oil, 1 tsp. salt and pasta.  Cook until al dente.  Rinse under cold water and drain.

In a large bowl, combine the pasta, egg mixture, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping.  Mix well and refrigerate overnight or until chilled.  Before serving, add marshmallows.  Toss and serve.

2 comments:

DebbieT. said...

I have loved this salad from the first time I ever tasted it, and the name "Frog Eye" salad never deterred my enjoyment :-) I am happy to finally have a recipe!

Smith Family said...

I loved this when I was a kid. My mom never made it, so I usually got my fix at friends' houses or at potlucks. So glad to have the recipe - thanks!