Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower and Leek Soup

Photobucket

So I had a head of cauliflower in my fridge that I didn't know what to do with.  The air is starting to get a bit chilled which tells me Fall is coming, which tells me it is soup season!  I found this recipe at Tasty Kitchen, which is my favorite website to search for recipes with a certain ingredient in mind.  This soup is yummy--I love roasted vegetables and it gives the soup a deeper flavor.  It is very healthy too--notice there isn't any heavy cream!  Of course you can add some and I'm sure it would make it taste even better!  But I like the healthy version myself.

Roasted Cauliflower and Leek Soup
print this recipe

1 medium head cauliflower, roughly chopped
2 whole leeks, white and light green part only, cut in half lengthwise
6 cloves garlic (I only used 4)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pinch kosher salt
2 cans (14 oz.) chicken broth
1 pinch fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425.  Spread chopped cauliflower, leeks and garlic on a baking sheet.  Drizzle olive oil on the vegetables and mix well to thoroughly coat.  Sprinkle with kosher salt.  Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes.  Vegetables should be brown on the edges and slightly softened. 

Pour roasted vegetables into a saucepan and add the chicken broth and fresh ground pepper to taste.  Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.  Using an immersion blender, thoroughly puree all contents of the saucepan.  (If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender.  Just be careful putting hot liquids in a blender as they can cause the lid to come flying off!)


 Photobucket
Here's my veggies right before I put them in the oven....

Photobucket 
after they were roasted....

Photobucket 
in the pan with the broth....


Photobucket
and after they were pureed with my immersion blender.  So simple!

No comments: