Sunday, January 23, 2011

Split Pea and Barley Soup

Photobucket

I have always loved split pea soup.  Unfortunately, my husband and kids don't feel the same way.  But that doesn't stop me from making it, because the leftovers make the perfect lunch.  I love this recipe because 1) you cook it in the crockpot--EASY! and 2) it has barley in it which I LOVE because it gives you a little something to sink your teeth into.  And it's healthy.  I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen, but I have changed the quantities of the spices for my taste.  Enjoy!

Split Pea and Barley Soup
print this recipe

1-16 oz. pkg dried split peas
1/2 cup barley
1 small onion, minced
1 whole carrot, diced
5 cups chicken broth
5 cups water
3-4 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. dried basil (you could also use oregano)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt

Rinse split peas and pour into a clow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Note: adding some ham would be yummy too!

No comments: