Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tin Can Ice Cream

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was first introduced to tin can ice cream at girl's camp when I was 12 years old.  What a treat to have fresh ice cream while you're camping, and it is so much fun to make!  I have since made it several times with different church groups, and it always amazes me how easy it is to make your own ice cream!  This is a recipe for vanilla ice cream, but feel free to add extra ingredients to make any flavor you want.  My favorite is oreo--LOTS of oreos!


Tin Can Ice Cream
print recipe

1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla


#10 can with lid
12-16 oz. can with lid
rock salt
crushed ice


Put milk, half-and-half, sugar and vanilla into small can.  Cover the top with plastic wrap, and then the plastic lid.  Place the filled can into an empty #10 can.  Fill the empty space with crushed ice, sprinkle generously with rock salt, and cover with the plastic lid.


With a partner, roll the can back and forth to each other (this works best on cement--you only need to be a few feet away from each other).  After about 10 minutes, carefully take the small can out, take off the lid and scrape the sides (be careful not to drip any water in from the ice--it is salty!).  Put small can back in large can and add more ice and salt as needed.  Roll for about 10 more minutes and it should be ready to eat!
__________


notes:
  • I don't ever use crushed ice, just regular bagged ice that you buy at the grocery store.  
  • I forgot to bring plastic wrap to camp, so we didn't use any.  I'm not sure how important that step is. 
  • Make sure to roll gently to your partner.  You don't want the lid to pop off--from the large can OR the small can.  Some people duct tape the lids on, but if you roll it gently you shouldn't have a problem.
  • I usually put the oreos in with the other ingredients, but I have found that no matter how big of pieces I put in, they are completely crushed at the end.  If you want big chunks of cookie, try putting some in after the first 10 minutes when you scrape the sides.   
  • It is a little difficult to find small cans these days.  I used to use baby formula cans but now they are made out of cardboard.  I ended up buying the cheapest coffee I could find and just dumping it so I could use the empty cans.    

No comments: