Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jenny's Turkey Chili

I have been trying really hard to eat healthier.  Some days I do better than others.  This is one of my new favorite meals and it is super healthy!  It kind of has a lot of spices, but it is so worth it to make!  I like to freeze it in individual serving sizes and have it for lunch (if I remember to take it out of the freezer the night before).  It is one of those meals that is even better the next day after the flavors have all melded together!

Photobucket


Jenny’s Turkey Chili


2 (generous) Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
20 oz. pkg ground turkey breast
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coriander
½ tsp. red pepper flakes (or more if you like it hotter)
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 cans (15 oz) kidney, pinto and/or black beans, undrained


Place large pot over moderate heat and add olive oil. Add onions, garlic and peppers and cook until tender. Add mushrooms and cook a couple minutes longer. Add ground turkey breast and break it apart with a spoon while it cooks. Add spices, chicken broth, tomatoes and beans ( I happen to really like beans so I add 4 cans, draining my last can).  Stir together and simmer for at least 30-60 minutes.  You can use any garnish you like--I like to substitute plain greek yogurt for sour cream.  I can't even tell the difference!

No comments: